Thursday 19 February 2015

Lola and the Boy Next Door Review






Spoiler free

So here is the second installment of the Stephanie Perkins series! I have to say I was most excited to read this book as I had read a few reviews which claimed this was the best one, with the best boy. I was a huge fan of the Anna and the French Kiss book, but I also have to make a slight confession as I actually read Isla and the Happily Ever After first! So I already knew a bit about the characters.

"Magical...really captures the feeling of being in love." 
Cassandra Clare, author of The Mortal Instruments series. 

For me this book was a bit more outrageous than the first as Lola was very fashion-forward and an outgoing character, she didn't really seem to care about what people thought because to her the outfits were a way of expressing herself.  I liked this book because it was a lot more relatable as she was living in San Francisco and for many of us going to an American opulent school in Paris just isn't attainable. I liked that Perkins had made sure her family wasn't just ordinary, Lola had two dads - very unique to other books. 
The other characters apart from the protagonist were a little more... normal. However I did find it strange that she names a boy "Cricket" bit weird but that's what I love about this book. Her boyfriend Max was very much a bad boy heart throb but obviously this would mean her parents don't approve. Throughout the book Lola is given situations in which she has to chose and her choice could effect the future. It makes my tummy flutter when I read a Stephanie Perkins book, I don't know why but I think she just seems to write everything i want. Max for my tattooed rocker boy with an "I don't care attitude" and Cricket for the adorable dork. At times I would read this book and just marvel at the way these characters loved, it was quite emotional. I also liked that she didn't just go for a classic love story, it had things that made it a bit different so it stood out against most. 

Recently I have been in quite a big reading slump so it took me a while to finish this book, but with Anna and the French Kisses it only took my two days to read. I don't why but recently I really cant concentrate on a book and I keep switching from book to book trying to focus but it just isn't happening. I loved the book a lot but it was quite predictable,although I think that it was an easy read with wonderful characters. Based on this I have decided to give the book a rating of 7.5/10. 



                                                                       



Charlotte 
                                                                   

No comments: