Saturday 7 February 2015

Anna and the French Kiss Review



I recently read Anna and the French kiss by Stephanie Perkins. It’s part of a series which also included “Lola and the Boy Next Door” and “Isla and the Happily Ever After”. However these books don’t necessarily follow each other as for each you’re introduced to a new character although some of the characters from other books do feature in them, because of this I have decided I want to review on each one separately as they have their own story. The book is 400 pages long and it took me 2 days to read it, let’s just say I was engrossed in it…

“Very sly.  Very funny. Very Romantic. You should date this book.” Maureen Johnson

In the beginning of the book Anna was a new girl to the SOAP (transferred from America, Georgia to Paris by her rich arrogant father)but she soon settled in and became quite quickly a member of a friendship group which consisted of:  Meredith, Etienne, Josh and Rashmi. The main antagonist of the novel is Amanda who is constantly making fun of Anna because of her close relationship with Etienne. Anna is extremely likable but also venerable, for me this character was perfect for this type of love story as Anna is quite feisty and will speak her mind but she also gets hurt easily and tries to hide it. Etienne is a mysterious character as he can never make up his mind fully, whether he wants Anna or his current girlfriend, this causes lots of different problems and in a way he plays with Anna’s heart strings making him a bit of a heart breaker.  I must confess if I was Anna I would be completely smitten with Etienne, his personality is simply captivating. Anna has complications of her own at home as well with having to leave her best friend, Bridgette, and her almost boyfriend, Toph.  She has to start a whole new life there and learn a bit of French to get by.

I think the book is worth the investment as I thoroughly enjoyed it, I really like the way Perkins writes and the way she helps you to connect with the character. Her writing flows really nicely and its quite a simple easy read as I don’t need to go back and make sure I understand it like I sometimes have to do with other books. However she doesn't describe things a lot which can get quite boring but other than that I love her writing style.


Overall I would rate this book an 8/10 as I loved the characters and the way it was written but it is no match to Audrey Niffenegger’s Time Travellers Wife romance.



Charlotte