Wednesday 9 December 2015

How to...Get Out of that Reading Slump


Recently I have been in a few reading slumps, and they aren't the nicest things because at times all I want to do is read however this makes it merely impossible. I have decided that I would write a hopefully short blog post about how you could get out of them. Reading slumps are an annoyance especially if you read often and to be honest this year so far I have been in quite a few. A few books on my shelf are the books that I have tried to read and failed and this can get very frustrating as for me I get annoyed at myself when I can't concentrate. And before I go on I would like to apologies for the lack of posts from me, I'm hoping that I will start posting a lot more near Christmas. So here are a few tips...


1) Wait. There is nothing worse than forcing yourself to read a book. No matter how hard you try you won't be able to concentrate and possibly miss important parts of the book so just wait and ride it out until the slump is over. 

2) Start reading a favourite. Pick a book from your bookshelf you know you will love, or maybe an easy read. Personally I always go towards the Anna and the French Kiss series by Stephanie Perkins which I can get into so easily as I have read all three a few times. Although The Time Traveler's Wife is one of my all time favourite books, I feel like it's a book which is quite a difficult read and to appreciate Audrey Niffenegger's amazing work you really need to concentrate and during a reading slump its the last thing you can or want to do.

3) Make your space comfortable. Wherever you read make sure that you are comfortable, personally I always read in my bed with a cup of tea on my side table and more often than not I will light my vanilla lime Yankee candle just to make me feel more relaxed while reading. As well as lighting candles and having a good cup of tea in hand in may be useful if try and eliminate background noises which can really distract you. 

4) Are audiobooks the answer? Instead of a physical book in hand why not go for the option of audiobooks. These are becoming more and more popular as its so easy to access now.  Another option is the Kindle, however I can't really promote this as I haven't got one myself but Hannah does and she said she enjoys reading of it. 

5) Try a new genre. This is something I need to start doing as I always stick to the same genre. 

6) Set yourself goals. Set yourself a daily goal of reading a chapter from a book and maybe this will push you to read more as you get more and more into a book. 

7) Find a reading buddy. Ask a fellow book addict to start reading a book with you (at the same time) , not necessarily in the same room though. This may prompt you to read further if they are ahead of you and who wants to hear spoilers? You could also discuss what you thought about it after and maybe even write a short blog post with both your views on it. 

8) Re-arrange your bookshelf. You may even find books you didn't know you had! 

9) Visit a bookstore. If you fellow book lovers love a good bookstore like Hannah and I do then this is a great idea. You may even find a book that's been on your wishlist. 

10) Do something other than reading. Of course the whole point of this blog post is to try and start reading but maybe you just need to focus on something else for a while and you will know when you want to start reading again. 

Well there is my tips on how to get out of a reading slump, hope it helps some of you. 
Happy reading :)







Charlotte 


No comments: