Wednesday 31 August 2016

The Problem with Forever Review

Spoiler Free - 

If you follow my Instagram (abibliotopia) then you probably know that I am a HUGE fan of author Jennifer L. Armentrout. Her books don't necessarily use the most advanced and challenging vocabulary, or create contemplative thoughts and leave your mind pondering...But they do entertain. I always read her books within one or two days and rarely am I left disappointed as this woman's strength is creating excellent stories with authentic and relatable characters. In this post, I will be review her latest book The Problem with Forever.

This book focuses on teenager Mallory Dodge, who struggles with talking due to her suffering from an abusive foster home as a child. Growing up silent and trying to stay hidden, it's difficult now for Mallory to speak up in her new, generous life with her adoptive Doctor parents. Taking a huge, courageous step, Mallory decides to go to school for the first time, where she meets childhood saviour Rider and discovers their unique connection has not faded over time...

Different from Jennifer's usual novels, this book is set in our world: with no Fae, Demons or Aliens. Although I naturally gravitate toward those kind of books, I had no doubt that I would enjoy this book any less as I have faith in this author. Usually I would say that JLA excels in creating brilliant characters and exceptional stories. However, for this book I'd argue differently. With a simple, basic story line, The Problem with Forever relies on the characters and the character development, but mainly, the writing. I thought the writing was hugely more sophisticated than Jennifer's other books; perfectly capturing an appropriate voice for the protagonist Mallory as well as tone. I really enjoyed exploring another talent of the author, though I'd still put the book under the teen fiction/young adult barrier.

The characters in this book are so different from any other books I've read. The book already starts with Mallory being broken, and instead of a story telling how she became that way, we were told a story of how she is gradually picking up the pieces of herself. I thought this was so refreshing for a YA book and although the book carried some serious themes, it had an overall positive outcome. I think for some this book could be a genuine help to restore faith or help build your own self. This is why Mallory is so special. Her timid approach at life and her nickname being 'Mouse' don't prevent her from anything or silence her from life. The irony in it all is inspiring.

It wouldn't be a Jennifer L. Armentrout book without a handsome, caring, brave, charismatic and loving hero; Rider. Jennifer effortlessly charms the audience into falling for him as she does with all her novels. However, this book does not fall under the boy-meets-girl, boy-loves-girl radar. Although there is inevitable romance and cliche bumps along the road, it is not the story that Jennifer is telling. This books is about finding yourself and self-empowerment.

Strangely, I relate more to Jennifer's heroines that are fighting demons or dating aliens, but that didn't prevent me from admiring Mallory. I also found the story line to be too basic. I know it's supposed to be a book of character development, but I think more deeper emotions could have been created for the readers to always keep their interest sparked. 

Hope this review was helpful for you! You can find my details below.



View and add my Goodreads HERE


Instagram is @abibliotopia





Hannah

 

No comments: