Saturday 6 August 2016

P.S I Still Love You Review!


To All The Boys I've Loved Before must have been read before reading this review to avoid spoilers for that book. This review will not have spoilers for P.S I Still Love You. 

Hey guys! Another review of a Jenny Han book; P.S I Still Love You, the sequel to the book I previously reviewed, To All The Boys I've Loved Before. As you know from that review (you totally should read it!), I had very mixed views on the first book and had a few things that I wanted to be improved in the second book...And they were! I thoroughly enjoyed every page of this book and was a huge step up from the first for me. Everything had improved: the character development, the relationships, the story, the writing. This is still not a favourite series of mine or anything, but I'm definitely glad to have read it and I'm looking forward to complete it with the final book, Always and Forever, Lara Jean

In this book, we continue immediately from the events of the first. Lara Jean didn’t expect to really fall for Peter. She and Peter were just pretending. Except suddenly they weren’t. Now Lara Jean is more confused than ever. When another boy from her past returns to her life, Lara Jean’s feelings for him return too. Can a girl be in love with two boys at once? 
-Goodreads synopses- 

In this charming and heartfelt sequel to the New York Times bestseller To All the Boys I've Loved Before, we see first love through the eyes of the unforgettable Lara Jean. Love is never easy, but maybe that’s part of what makes it so amazing.

 A request of mine from the first book for this series was to make it more romantic. Oh boy was this met! In this book, we receive a letter that Lara Jean sent to John Ambrose McClaren and it was exactly how I expected all the letters to be; so humiliating and personal to Lara Jean, professing her unconditional and irrevocable love for these boys. I thought this made the severity of the letters more surreal and overall made the relationship between the two more significant to the readers. 

More potent, shocking and important events happen in this book which affect Lara Jean. This generally, for me, made the book more interesting than the last. I thought protagonist Lara Jean reacted to these events realistically which made the reader relate to her and like her even more as a character. I thought the story was super gripping and I basically read the book in a day as I couldn't put it down! However my main big thumbs up for this book was the improvement of the language and the way it was written. Complex and sophisticated vocabulary was used as well as interesting metaphors to explain how Lara Jean was feeling. For me, this was the main thing that made me enjoy this book so much more than the last. I'm so happy that the readers can so clearly notice the progression of Jenny Han's writing and I'm really interested to see it develop in the next book.  

This book, as Jenny Han had written it to be, was a great end to the expected duology. However, the news of a third book makes so much sense to perfectly end the story of Lara Jean. I hope that it does not let my expectations down and I hope Han stays true to the characters and the story. I gave this book 4.5/5 stars on Goodreads, and if you had problems with the first book, I definitely recommend giving this one a go as it's so much better!

View and add my Goodreads HERE

Instagram is @abibliotopia





Hannah

  




No comments: